Skip to content
How Do I...?

Common Questions

Where do I go to vote?

To find out which polling place/location you should report to, check your voter's registration card, call Voter Services at 610-278-3280, visit or check the Department of State Website at

What are Brake Retarders or ‘Jake Brakes’?

In accordance with the state Vehicle Code, PennDOT has the sole authority to regulate vehicle equipment. The use and/or prohibition of the use of engine brake retarders falls under this authority. Any municipality in the Commonwealth prohibiting the use of engine brake retarders must first obtain permission from PennDOT.

In order to prohibit brake retarders, all of the following must be satisfied:

  1. The roadway is not a limited access facility or a ramp exiting from a highway with a posted speed or 85th percentile speed of 55 MPH or greater.
  2. The average downhill grade does not exceed 4 percent within any 500 foot section of highway.
  3. A reduced speed limit or reduced gear zone does not exist for trucks due to a hazardous grade determination.
  4. The posted speed limit or 85th percentile speed is less than 55 MPH.
  5. There is no history of runaway truck crashes in the past 3 years.
  6. There is no discernible pattern of rear end crashes in the past 3 years where a truck was the striking vehicle.

Who are the township supervisors?

The five-member Board is made up of Mr. Grey R. Godshall, Mr. David B. Fazio, Mr. Robert H. Nice, Ms. Jill Halteman, and Dr. Charles Amuso.

Can anyone attend a township meeting?

Yes. Township meetings are open to the public. Check out the Community Calendar on the left-hand side of the Homepage to view the scheduled meetings.

When is the best time to report the vandalism to my mailbox?

Call as soon as you know about it. If you hear the loud bang at 2 o'clock in the morning, call us immediately! Our officers are on patrol twenty-four hours a day. It is possible that your quick notification will help us to identify the persons who caused the damage within a few minutes of it happening. If you wait until morning, the persons who are responsible may be long gone.

People knock at my door asking me to purchase magazines or to have my driveway sealed. What can I do about it?

Door-to-door solicitation is regulated in Franconia Township. Ask the person if they have a permit from the Township to do this. All solicitors are required to procure a permit from the Police Department with the Police Chief's signature on the card. If they cannot provide a card upon your request, please contact the Police Department. The ordinance does allow non-profit organizations, such as Girl Scout cookie sales, to be conducted without a permit.

What can you do about my neighbor's dog that is constantly on my yard?

The State Dog Law prohibits any dog from being allowed to run at large. All dogs must be on a leash and under control of their owner when off their property. Dogs are not required to be on a leash when on their owner's property. A Franconia Township Police Officer will take stray dogs into custody when you notify us about a problem.

Where can I post the signs for my yard sale and do I need a permit?

At this time, no permit is needed for a yard sale. State law and township ordinances prohibit the posting of any sign from a utility pole or highway signpost (i.e. stop sign). The nails left in the poles are dangerous to the utility workers and the people who posted the signs are sometimes lax in removing the signs. It is suggested that you put the sign on a wooden stick and place it on the property of someone who has given you permission to place it there.

How can I obtain a copy of my accident report?

Accident reports are usually available four days after the accident. Contact the police secretary at 215-723-6778. The office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Pennsylvania Vehicle Code requires that we provide the Accident Report upon the payment of $15.00.

When and where may I practice firing my shotgun?

The discharge of any firearm is prohibited in Franconia Township, except if you are engaged in hunting during the designated seasons and abiding by the regulations of the Pennsylvania Game and Wildlife Code. Any person over the age of 18 may also discharge a firearm to control wildlife that is destroying cultivated crops, vegetables, poultry or livestock. Again, this must be within the regulations of the Game and Wildlife Code.

What am I required to recycle?

Franconia Township recycles newsprint and other paper, number 1 and 2 plastics, aluminum and bi-metallic cans, and glass. The Township does not contract with one specific hauler, so residents must make their own arrangements.  For more information on recycling in Montgomery County, visit, or call 610-278-3618. For information on the collection of household hazardous waste, please visit

How can I get involved or volunteer in the township?

Franconia Township has a number of committees, commissions, and task forces that are staffed by volunteers. At various times there is a need to find new members for these positions. In order to facilitate the finding of new members, the Township maintains a human resource file of people that would be willing to serve the Township. If you would be interested, please print and fill out this form and bring it to the Township office.

When does Franconia Township require a permit?

Prior to any construction or improvements, building permits must be obtained for any addition, alteration, demolition, enlargement, or new construction. This includes:

  • Chimneys
  • Decks
  • Fences
  • Fireplaces or decorative heating stoves
  • Porches
  • Patios
  • Sheds
  • Swimming pools
  • Finished basements
  • Any remodeling job requiring dry wall or electric

You can download applications and fee schedules in the Building and Zoning section of the website, or pick them up at the Township administrative office Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

When is the grass too high?

Uncultivated growth, i.e. weeds, grass, or other vegetation, should not exceed one (1) foot in height. Failure to cut high growth may result in fines. For full details see Chapter 45 of the Township Code.

Does the township have a noise ordinance?

Guidelines against unnecessary noise are covered under the Peace and Good Order Ordinance, Chapter 99 of the Township Code.

The Ordinance applies to the use of radios, musical instruments, and other noise producing machines used in such a way so as to disturb the peace. Between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., such noise should not be plainly audible 50 feet away.